Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Disney Cruise October 2014 part 1


This will start the first in a series of Trip Reports.  I apologize in advance for the length, but it was just so amazing it is hard to fit it all in...so it WILL be a series on the October Disney Cruise.  Sit back and enjoy!

I was so excited for my first Disney Cruise!
It is really hard to describe the excitement as I booked my birthday cruise the previous year.  I made countdowns, thought about Fish Extenders, and excursions.

So, let's back up a bit and give a few details.  We went on a 4 night Haunted Sailing on the Disney Dream from October 19 to 23.  Halloween is NOT my favorite time of year, but you only turn 60 once in your life - so away we went!  Or at least away I booked.

First thing I did after booking was to down load a nifty little app to my phone from Disney, Disney Cruise Line Navigator.  Very similar to My Disney Experience, but specific to Disney Cruises (and MUCH more reliable!)  Prior to sailing it really only gives you a countdown, but once you arrive onboard it becomes your lifeline!

It contains your daily Navigator, which basically tells you where to be and when (along with tons of information about what is going on onboard the ship), as well as tells you how to get there!(Quick deck maps that fit in your pocket) It also has the ability to text other members of your party...a really cool feature if you have teens!

The next thing I did was to find my cruise group on Facebook.  Almost every Disney Cruise has a dedicated group on Facebook.  This is where you can find tons of info from fellow cruiser on things ranging from the Sail Away party to Fish Extenders.

On the original Disney ships they had large brass clips outside each stateroom door.  They were shaped like fish and could be used to attach notes and such.  It didn't take long for crafty Disney fans to discover a new use for them... they hung large hanging pockets from them, decorated of course, to be the receptacle of small trinkets and gifts from one cruiser to another. These become known as Fish Extenders.

On any given cruise there will be numerous Fish Extender groups.  Each group will run a bit differently, and each group sets the maximum participants.  Small gifts are left anonymously in the pockets through out the cruise.  While it was something I really wanted to participate in I found time ran away from me too quickly and I had to pass on this activity.  Next time I am IN!

Next on my list was to day dream about excursions.  Yes, that was all I was able to do on this sailing.  Dream about excursions.  I have a special needs son, one who we never know how he will deal with new things.  We knew he loved all things Disney but he had never been on a cruise before so we weren't sure how he would react, so excursions were out for this trip.  He is already asking for what we are doing on our next cruise, so I guess our fears were unfounded.

Disney has so many things to do on board that are free, it really isn't a big deal if you go with no excursions. Mr D had a list a mile long of things he wanted to try...each morning! He never did get to all the items on his list and never made it to the kids club.  Of course, he and Dad especially loved the days we were in port...there was little to no competition on getting a round of Goofy Golf or a ride on the Aqua Duck!

Next installment will be about our arrival at Port Canaveral.

No comments:

Post a Comment