Friday, October 23, 2015

Boarding at Port Miami

We weren't sure what to expect, since we had only previously sailed from Port Canaveral.  I'll be the first to admit that the maps for the Port of Miami were less than helpful.  The reviews I had read talked about how hot it was to wait in the sun for your turn to board.  Every where I looked it said either terminal B or C.  My boarding pass said one and my company (as it was a conference) said another.

We had made a dry run the night before (as usual for us) and had an idea but was still a bit hesitant.

As it turned out, there was no need to be hesitant!  It was pretty straight forward.  There are indeed two terminals...but they are just two sides of the same building.  (as in front and back or aft and forward)  The difference just made it easier for the staff to get you boarded as there were two gangways.  

We arrived out front and dropped our bags off with the proters.  This is amazing.  For a dollar or two per bag you don't have to worry about them until after lunch and some exploring the ship!    We then waited out front while Dad parked the van and joined us.

After we were all back together again, we went inside and started the short process of checking in.  Of course the first thing was going through the metal detector.  I don't know why but this always bothers me.  Maybe it is all the extra metal in  my neck, but I always worry that I am going to trigger it.  (although I ever do it still bothers me!)

A short wait once inside, for the few people in front of us to check in, then it was our turn.  The actual check in process was a breeze!  Took all of a minute and a half!  Verified our names and passports, took a quick picture and we were directed to go upstairs.

Here I would like to add a note.  I had checked ahead with the cruise line about Mr D's problem with waiting in long lines.  Not knowing how the actual process would work I was plenty worried.  (Carnival had a lengthy wait in a long line to check in).  They had arranged for an alternative boarding if necessary, but as it turned out we had no problems with the regular line.

Once upstairs we were given a boarding number group...1!
Boarding number Group 1!


The actual area inside of the terminal was huge!  All the reports had said there was no place to wait outside...and that is true, but I have no idea why you would want to wait outside.  The process was smooth and quick, so the only time we were outside was while waiting on Dad to get the van parked!
Inside waiting room for Port of Miami

Inside Waiting room for Port of Miami

Inside Waiting room Port of Miami

COFFE = Happy Dad!


Once we were inside, we found snack and drink machines for sodas and whatever, as well as free water (some with lemon) orange juice and coffee. We grabbed something to drink and found a nice spot to sit so we could watch the people get off the ship.

Here is one thing I loved about Norwegian!  There is no mad dash to get off the ship.  No waiting in hour long lines for your turn to get off (like Carnival).  The people leaving the ship were actually leisurely strolling...as if they HATED to leave.  

To us, it seemed like it took forever for them to get off.  In actuality, it only seemed that way because they were literally in no hurry!  There may be 3 or 4 minutes between each family getting off! Seeing that made me feel a lot better about the disembarking part of our trip.  But first, we need to get ON the ship!

Think of the terminal as a long rectangle.  It had two ginormous waiting rooms with great views of the ship on either end.  In between the two rooms was a third waiting room.  It held the priority boarders.  Those who had sailed multiple times with Norwegian and had suites..you know the VIPs!  THEY had pastries and what appeared to be light snacks served to them.  

While we waited for our turn to board, we talked about where we wanted to eat lunch!  They do not always publicize which restaurants are going to be open for lunch in addition to the buffet.  We have always gone to the buffet for lunch after boarding, but it is always a mad house.  So far we had not had any problems with Mr D, and were wanting to keep the issues at a minimum.  

It wasn't long before it was our turn to board.  We boarded right after the VIPS!  The crew at the elevators informed us our choice for lunch was not going to be available that day and directed us towards Savor.  One of the smaller quiet complimentary restaurants.  Once we arrived, we found it was not quite ready and sat in some comfy chairs to wait the short 30 minutes for them to open!  It was worth the wait!


They did not have a large selection of Gluten Free (of course who does on the first day!) So I ordered a Salmon sandwich without bread.  It was fantastic, even though it did have sandwich bread.  I learned later that was gluten free.
Our view during lunch from Savor



After lunch we took a short stroll around the ship to get some bearings and within a few minutes it was announced that our cabins were ready.  

Oddly, I did not get many pictures of the cabin.  The cabin was on the small side (similarly sized to the Carnival Sunshine) but the bathroom was huge!  A large double sink and a huge (almost double) shower with wonderful body sprays!  I was in love with the bathroom!  Our cabin was a Mini Suite.  Basically the difference is the size of the bathroom.  The regular bathrooms were much tinier.  
Huge Bathroom

This is the way the third bed looked after opening.  Not much room.


Since it was Mr D's birthday I had sprang for the birthday decorations and ordered an Oreo Cake.  The Happy Birthday streamers were on the ceiling with Birthday sprinkled around and a small cake was sitting on the counter.

At this point I left the rest of the family.  Remember, I was on a conference, and our opening session was about to start.

After my opening session I headed back to the cabin to find that most of the luggage had been delivered and my guys had put it all away!  I also discovered, that the Happy Birthday Celebration also included a CAKE!  So the Oreo cake was delivered a bit later!  Two ginormous cakes and I could not eat ANY!

The guys went on to do some exploring and I sat in the cabin to get things ready for me to go and explore.  

Suddenly I noticed the time!  It was almost time for the Safety Drill.  I decided it was time to go find the boys...but I couldn't get out of the cabin!  The door would not open!  Something was blocking it!  (yes, a lot of exclamation points but this was important!!)

Seems the last two pieces of luggage were delivered and were placed right next to the door of our cabin!  So I did what any self respecting Mom would do...I yelled...and banged on the door.  Luckily another Mom was walking by and heard me.  She and her husband helped me move the luggage from the front of the door so I could get out..and then we placed them inside the room.  They were VERY helpful!

And now for the most unimportant important part of the trip...the Safety Drill.  I know it is important.  I understand why it is required. Each cruise line does it differently, and none seem to do it as well as Disney.  It is fun and they make a show of it.  Carnival is well, it is horrible!  Norwegian walls somewhere in the middle.  At least we were inside.
This was our Saftey Station


Well, that concludes the main part of our boarding.  Next installment will be...well, I'm not 100% sure.  You'll have to hang around to find out!

Sunset from our first night at Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment