Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Surprise the Kids? Or let them in on the planning?



This is a hard one for me.  I have always wanted to have a surprise trip, but have never been able to keep it from them for very long!

I see those nice reveal videos and think; wouldn’t that be cool to do that for my kids? So much thought and planning goes in to the reveal…and planning is my favorite thing to do…

But then I remember that planning is half the fun and I want my kids to be in on the planning fun as well!  Of course, that look on the kids faces as they realize they are going to Disney is hard to resist.  And NOT having them ask 15 times a day how much longer till we go to Disney is another great point for not telling!

I think every family has their own story about surprising or telling the kids.  They each have their own reasons for their choices.  And of course, I have seen those videos where the kids seemed underwhelmed by the whole prospect of going to Disney.  (of course, that could be just because their parents have put a video camera in their face and they are still trying to process the whole thing!)

The closest I have come to surprising my family with a trip to Disney was the trip that we had to cancel for medical reasons.  It was planned for my youngest daughter’s birthday in June.  For Christmas the whole family got stuffed Mickey or Minnie dolls.  They were the last presents opened.  Dad had a large Mickey who was holding a banner that said “Surprise, you are going to Disney World!!!”  The kids were 3 and 4.  It went over like a lead balloon. 

Don’t worry, she did get to go for her 13th birthday to Disney.  She decided she wanted to change her birthday because it was too hot in June and too crowded!

 This was our view at the Wishes Dessert Party in June of 2013!  See we finally made it for her birthday.  And being true to a 13 year old girl...no pictures were allowed of her!

See Ya Real Soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment