Thursday, November 5, 2015

TBT My Favorite Family Vacation


Hands down, my favorite Family vacation was a surprise Family trip when I was 13.  And yes, it involves Disney! (sort of anyway)

Disney was going to open in October; and my 13th birthday was in October!  I had been hinting and bugging my parent almost every single day since I discovered the coincidence!  I mean seriously-Disney World was opening JUST for me!

The weekend before my birthday, my parent loaded us into the car for a ‘drive’.  (This was a normal routine thing for us back then.  We would all load into the car and drive for hours, then find ourselves back at home in time to make dinner-Exciting, huh?)

Map of Florida...should have paid more attention in geography class!

As we headed south I just knew we were going to Disney!  If I had known a bit more about geography I might have realized we were on the wrong highway.  When I saw the welcome to Florida sign I was ecstatic!  A few hours later we pulled up to…the beach!  My parents announced that this was my birthday present.  They brought me to Florida just like I wanted!   My dad had made a secret reservation at a hotel on the beach. 

While it wasn’t Disney, it was cool!  Dad unloaded our luggage (where had THAT been hiding!) and we had a fantastic weekend!

While it was not the trip I had hoped for I discovered that Family Time was wondrous and precious.  All it took was a change in scenery to change attitudes.  All 3 of us kids became suddenly nice to each other (if only for a while) and we truly enjoyed the time together.


From this I learned a couple of things – Family trips are necessary.  And I should be more specific in my birthday requests!

No comments:

Post a Comment